How To Change Your Personal Style
Everyone has their own personal style. Essentially, the way we choose to dress, do our hair, and even apply makeup allows us to create our own brand.
Having your own unique personal style is extremely important for several reasons. For one, cultivating a personal style serves as a form of self-care. Dressing a certain way can evoke an emotion that allows us to feel good about ourselves, and the way we carry ourselves reflects a certain amount of our self-respect.
Personal style is so much more than looking at the newest runway trends every year. Here, we’ll discuss the foundational parts of a person’s style, and the elements you can incorporate into your own style, to help you feel confident and comfortable in everyday life.
Ways To Change Your Look
There are a lot of different ways a person can change their look. From cutting your hair, to switching up your wardrobe or wearing a new shade of eyeshadow, you can change almost any aspect of the way you get dressed every day. Here are a few quick and easy ways you can switch up your personal style.
Pick Foundational Pieces for Your Wardrobe
Making changes to your wardrobe is perhaps the easiest way to update your personal style. To start, choose new pieces that will set the foundation for your new look. The foundational pieces of your wardrobe should include:
- Staple coat: Whether it’s denim, wool, or leather, no wardrobe is complete without a go-to coat or jacket. Invest in a high-quality one that will stand up to the test of time. Opt for a classic silhouette.
- Neutral basics: Neutral basics like t-shirts, undershirts, pants, and dresses are great starting points for any outfit. They can be dressed up or down with colorful accessories like jewelry, cardigans, scarves, and even hats.
- Great jeans: Everyone needs a comfortable pair of jeans to wear on a variety of occasions. Whether you’re just running to the store or headed out for the night, find a pair of jeans in a fit and wash that makes you feel confident.
- Pantsuit: From weddings to job interviews, a quality pantsuit can take you far. If pants aren’t your style, you can invest in a skirt suit or business casual dress.
Find a new Hairstyle
Your personal style is so much more than your clothing. Changing up your hairstyle is another quick and easy way to revamp your personal style. Turn to the internet if you’re in need of some inspiration. Whether it’s a fresh cut or a new color entirely, the best part about making changes to your hair is that you can always change it again.
If you’re someone who struggles with hair growth, there are a number of products that can help with that. For instance, if you find your hair is thinning and won’t work with a certain hairstyle that you want to try, there are products that can help thicken your hair.
Perhaps you are someone who experiences male pattern baldness or female pattern baldness. To change your personal style, you may want to try a product that promotes your hair to grow back in those bald spots.
Experiment with Makeup
When it comes to makeup, there are some simple changes you can make to refresh your daily routine and wake up your personal style. If you wear lipstick, consider adding a new color to your rotation. Other subtle but impactful ways you can experiment with makeup include:
- Change the way you apply your eyeliner. From the winged look to the cat eye, there are so many ways to apply eyeliner.
- Use lipstick as an eyeshadow or blush.
- Wear colored mascara instead of black or brown. Mascara is available in shades like blue, purple, and metallics. Try a new one on for size!
- Apply powder or liquid highlight to your cheekbones for an added glow.
- Curl your lashes prior to applying mascara to give them a boost.
- Line your inner eyelid to define the shape of your eye.
Makeup for Men
Over the years, men have grown increasingly interested in the makeup world. From tinted moisturizers to brow gels, there are a variety of makeup products men can use to amp up their personal style. Here are a few introductory ways:
- Use foundation all over the face to create an even appearance and cover any discoloration or scarring.
- Concealer can be used to disguise dark spots or moles.
- If your brows are thin, use a brow gel or pencil to fill in any spaces or gaps and give the appearance of fuller brows.
- Apply a lip balm every day to keep lips from drying out and cracking.
Personal Makeover Tips
Ready to get started on your new look? It’s easy; simply follow the personal makeover tips we’ve listed below:
- Try a new skincare routine out. To find the one that’s right for you, consider the type of skin you have and what you’re looking to get out of a new routine.
- Go through your existing wardrobe. Get rid of anything that doesn’t fit or that you don’t enjoy wearing anymore. Be mindful of any basic items that you already have and keep them aside as the start of your new revamped wardrobe.
- Consider using body bronzer. The tanner you are, the trimmer you’ll appear.
- Have your eyebrows done. The shape of your eyebrows can say a lot about your personality, so choose a shape that fits your face and your new personal style.
- Schedule a mani/pedicure. A spa day can do wonders for your blood flow and mental health. Make plans for a manicure and pedicure to refresh and renew your hands and feet.
- Know what clothes will fit your body shape. Having a wardrobe full of items that fit properly can help give you the utmost confidence.
- Choose a hairstyle based on the shape of your face. Just as with clothing, consider choosing a hairstyle that fits the shape of the face and head.
From landing a job, to dating, to just generally feeling good about yourself, changing up your personal style can make all the difference. Give some of these tips and tricks a try to try a new personal style on for size.